Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default speaking of batteries

On 2/25/2018 10:35 AM, Brewster wrote:

I have rebuilt battery packs on my own, but a RPITA since the cells are
really crammed in tight.

I had some cheap Black & Decker 18v tools that had 1300 mAh batteries.
When the batteries died I bought some cheap HF 1500 mAh batteries. Took
them apart and replaced the batteries in the B&D case. The 1500mAh
batteries were a good bit taller than the originals but I discovered the
B&D battery case had a plastic false bottom that when removed, the
taller, more powerful HF batteries fit perfectly. Cost me $12 for the
HF batteries ($16 now) and they work great (well, better than new
anyway). Saved about $50+/per battery pack.

Now I have 2 20 volt lithium craftsman batteries for a saw, sawsall,
circular saw and light combo kit I got from Santa one year. Tools are
great, but one of the batteries died 4 years ago, and nobody fixes
lithium batteries and now Sears doesn't carry them. I reckon if/when
the other battery dies, the tools will be scrap. That sucks because
these tools are really good considering they are Sears.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com