Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin

On 28/02/18 12:29, newshound wrote:
Just been on the news that they've collapsed. Along with Toys R Us.
If you can tell the difference.

Toys R Us won't be missed - they really lost the plot.
Maplin was handy if you ever needed something small in a big hurry.

I thought they were quite good in their day, but don't compete for
convenience with eBay for almost any sort of electronics and small tools.

There is little or no hobby interest in the market to day at ALL.

Models shops have vanished
Craft shops are having a hard time
Electronics stores are pointless
I am not even sure people HAVE hobbies any more...

They do, but it is certainly true that the median age of people with
non-trivial hobbies that require skill and patience is getting older.

There are very few younger members in astronomy, model engineering and
live steam preservation clubs these days. When I was young there were
enough of us to form a separate sub group from the adults. Now they are
an endangered species - preferring to mess around with their iThingys.

I swear there will be a new RSI disease of texter's thumb soon.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown