SQLit

Default Hot tub wiring questions

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
I am getting a hot tub this weekend and I have done some research and
still have some questions on my specific setup.
I will need a 240V 50Amp GFCI breaker for the tub per the manuf.

This is what I have now:
Main panel and subpanel in the basement
Subpanel is:

3 wire comming from the main panel (Square D 50amp 120/240vac AIC
10,000 breaker) going to the subpanel which has 2 breakers in the
middle that read 30amp for each one hooked together with a plastic
harness going out to the air conditoner then 2 15amp breakers on
either side for lighting in the basement. The wire going out from the
2 30amp breakers go outside to another panel.

Outside panel is:

2 wires going into the outside screws for the Line then 2 wires on the
inside for Load going into the air condenser, and both ground wires
hooked to a plate in the center screw. There is also a black
cartedrige that you pull out on this box, im assuming this is a
disconnect box.

With that in mind this is what im planning:

I do not have any other available positions in the main panel for
expansion for my tub. So instead of incurring the cost to add another
subpanel now I would like to use the existing A/C subpanel for my new
hot tub.

Question #1: The wire going from the subpanel(inside) to the
disconnect box(outside) is a Type NM-B 600Volts 10/2 Operator 18. Will
this be good enough for the hottub load? (240v 40amp 60hz tub specs),
if not what size wire should I get?

NO 10-2 is rated for 30 amps. From what I understand your going to need a
service change. Sounds like you have a 60 amp service and you want to add an
additional 40 amps for the spa.

Question #2: I think I will need to replace the subpanel breakers and
get 50amp 2 pole is this correct? If so I still need to have the 2
15volts there for my basement lights so will this be ok? Do they sell
50amp 2 pole with 2 15amp breakers? Basiclly I want to chage the 2
middle ones from 30 to 50 but it looks like its all one unit,so I
would need to buy a untit with all 4 this sound right?

Question #3: I should not have to change anything in the main panel
because its already 50amp 120/240Vac going to the subpanel right?

See above

on #4: I need to put the GFCI breaker somewhere since I already
have a disconnect box outside that I want to use for the hot tub, can
I just buy a GFCI type breaker that I described in Question 2?, or
does the GFCI breaker HAVE to be outside in viewable distance of the
hot tub, or can that be just the disconnect that I already have out
there?

The gfci can be located inside and the disconnect outside is fine.

Question #5: I am going to run 4wire #6 AWG THNN Wire in liquid tight
conduit (copper wire) from the disconnect to the tub, does this sound
ok and the distance will be 30' is that ok?

Liquid tite is commonly limited to under 10 feet here abouts. Your area may
not have that restriction

me to email them to
you

Thanks in advance