Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Baltic Birch and that outer stuff

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:44:16 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

To save money I purchased 5 sheets of 1/2" 9 ply birch veneer plywood at
Lowe's. It has birch veneers on the outside and one side is preprimed.
The inner 7 plies may as well be MDF.

I saved $15 per sheet going with this stuff vs. a 4x8 sheet of Baltic
birch, $35 vs. $50 per sheet. I bought 5 sheets for the work bench
project and for a quilt design wall for my wife's quilting studio. For
her design wall I am simply building frame work with the other stuff to
hold 1" thick insulation foam board, two of those. The design wall will
88" wide and 92" tall. On top of the foam she will wrap a material to
completely cover the foam board and frame work.

The other 4 sheets were for the flat workbench that I recently built.

Anyway I have built countless drawers and several jigs with 1/2" Baltic
Birch. Baltic birch plywood is all hardwood outer and inner plies. It
just about works like solid wood. I can use 5mm Dominoes in the edges
of the material and use 1" pocket hole screws with out the screws
collapsing the inner plies.

The other stuff has a pretty tough primer coat. That is all the good I
can say about it. The inner plies blow out when tapping in Domino
tenons and the 1" pocket hole screws easily crush the inner plies.

I made this material work as it does not have to be pretty and I used a
lot of glue so hopefully nothing will come apart.. ;~)

Just a caution that the other stuff is a very far cry from being similar
to actual Baltic birch.

And yes 4x8 sheets of 9 ply all birch inner and outer veneer can be had
but is costly. As I mentioned above the 1/2", 4x8 Baltic birch plywood
is $50 per sheet or $1.56 per square foot. I can get regular 1/2", 5x5
Baltic Birch for $21 per sheet or 84 cents per square foot. That is
darn near half the price per square foot as the larger sheet.

Never again for this purpose...

" If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay first
quality price.
If onthe other hand you are willing to settle for oats that have
already been throiugh the horse, they DO come a little bit cheaper "

The borg birch faced "plywood" definitely classifies as "already been
through the horse".