Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AliExpress experience?

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:26:14 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:06:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 11:22:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

If I can't find an AC/DC powered compact refrigerator priced as
reasonably as the AC-only ones

I ordered the Alpicool C20 for $239. It's small and light enough to
use in the car, big enough to hold 6 days of breakfast, lunch and
supper. Hopefully it can run all night on the jumpstarter type sealed
battery pack I've been using with an inefficient thermoelectric cooler
in the car.

Yeeouch on the price. Aren't those jumpstarters a 1.3Ah battery
coupled with a capacitor? I mounted a 48w (Sears/China watts; actual
draw 27w) on a 12v 1.3Ah battery and it's a helluva flashlight. One
of these days, I'll have to test the lifetime. It makes a great
worklight.

Maybe the combination can serve as a fridge with UPS, as long as the
jumpstarter's charger can keep up without overcharging the battery.
That's easy to test with my datalogging setup.

Let me know the startup and running current draws when you received
it. Very curious here. I've never seen a 12/24vdc compressor.

If the built-in charger doesn't work out I have an HF 99857 1.5A 3
stage onboard charger to dedicate to the task. I don't leave my home
made devices running unattended overnight.
Sorry, the HF 99857 is "Not available for shipment to CA and OR."

That's extremely funny, considering the import point is Long Beach,
CA. I wonder what inherent evil they house to require them to be
warded from the Republik of Kalifornia and mostly-red Blue state of
Oregon.

It's time for all of us to upgrade to LIPO (or better), huh? LA
is
just not worth the effort and hassle. But 14kW goes for $6200
installed. I hope that price drops dramatically when the Giga
Factory
opens and gets up to speed, or when new tech hits the markets. My
single kilowatt will likely not be enough to satiate it, though.

Flooded lead-acid easily beats everything else for initial cost per
KWH and if treated right competes well on lifespan. I don't see the
life from older Li laptop batteries that I can get from LAs.

Your (and probably my) definition of lifetime is likely considerably
looser than that of others, who would consider a battery producing
only 70% of new capacity to be a throw-away item.

I knew how much current the truck starter needed and could measure how
much the battery delivered. When it got close I traded.

I believe you. (slowly shakes head)

Here is an example of a salvaged EV Lithium that's 4x the cost of a
12V 105A-h SLI31MDC
https://www.ebay.com/i/112562977502?chn=ps

A "new" battery from 2015 Chevy Volt? Yes, expensive.
https://is.gd/Pspy7V Trojan T105RE (made for solar/wind) are about
$200/ea (6v) but are 225Ah, same relative cost as that lithium.

That's $200 for 1.35KWH versus $120 for 1.26KWH from a 12V 105Ah
SLI31MDC. I looked at 6V deep cycle batteries and AGMs before buying
more SLI31s last month. The initial cost for 24V is $800 for the 6V
batteries, $240 for the 12V ones. Perhaps the T105 makes sense for
daily cycling but I can't justify them for a backup system where the
smaller batteries are adequate. They may see only a dozen cycles,
mostly for capacity testing, before dying of old age.

The better batteries have a lot more lead in them and their lifetime
is extended (barring massive sulfation). In your case, the cost
probably isn't warranted, as you say. The price is easily justified
for someone with a chest freezer full of meat.

This winter we have had many near misses from ice storms. It rains and
freezes but the buildup hasn't been heavy enough to bring down trees
or wires. Another chance is predicted for tomorrow.

The SLI31MDC I bought around 2007 or 2008 to run a winch is noticeably
weakening.

That's an amazing lifetime for a DCLA. Most are rated for 3 years.

Alternate energy is great to impose on others, as long as you don't
have to put up with the inconvenience of it yourself.

Done right, it's almost invisible rather than inconvenient.

If you know how, please share it. Most of my industrial battery
experience was tending to the needs of Lithiums.

Many solar owners I've talked with spray off their panels (in the cool
of the morning) and check/fill batteries twice a year. Others spend
time optimizing the spit out of them, so it depends on the mindset.
I thought BMSes did all the hard work on lithiums. According to Kim
on LoveTesla and Richard on fullychargedshow (YT), the Powerwalls are
plug and forget.

-- Sir Winston Churchill