Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Poplar

On 2/23/2018 10:42 PM, Michael wrote:
On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 7:52:27 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 7:43:52 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
More expensive than I expected.

What are you using it for?

Some lumber yards sell finger jointed poplar which is much cheaper, but still
poplar, so it takes paint very well. The 1 x 6's I recently bought were truly
finger jointed (finger joints seen on the edges, cross-wise glue joints on the
face. The 1 x 8's were edge glued boards, made up of 1" - 2" strips, i.e.
glue joints running the length of the boards. It was all classified as finger
jointed in their system, as opposed to "clear poplar".

I found that when gluing up some panels with the 1 x 8's, my glue joints
were stronger than the factory glue joints.

I'll definitely remember that next time. If I had more lead time, I would have made a trip to the lumber mill and bought it rough. I am making a frame for a painting. The artist wants to paint it too.

For a while I used to buy rough cut lumber and even S2S. Now days my
time is worth much more than the cost to take odd sized lumber and make
it usable, especially when I am selling my work. I am not going to
charge a customer the cost for "me" to mill the lumber when the cost of
S4S is a fraction more in cost.

Getting uniform sized S4S is also a big time saver when planning how
much to buy and how to cut it.

As your have found out, your mistake was not getting the cost of
materials before quoting a price.