Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Poplar

Used in trim and special areas. Easy to paint. No sap. Pine is bad
for this.
I used some in cabinets.

Martin

On 2/23/2018 7:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 7:43:52 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
More expensive than I expected.

What are you using it for?

Some lumber yards sell finger jointed poplar which is much cheaper, but still
poplar, so it takes paint very well. The 1 x 6's I recently bought were truly
finger jointed (finger joints seen on the edges, cross-wise glue joints on the
face. The 1 x 8's were edge glued boards, made up of 1" - 2" strips, i.e.
glue joints running the length of the boards. It was all classified as finger
jointed in their system, as opposed to "clear poplar".

I found that when gluing up some panels with the 1 x 8's, my glue joints
were stronger than the factory glue joints.