Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Country lanes - no curbs

dennis@home wrote:
On 21/02/2018 20:48, Brian Reay wrote:

We were walking in Battle today, a little after lunch time.
TheÂ* we were on the pavement, the road was quite wide and busy. I'm not
sure what the limit was, probably 30mph. The road was certainly busy
enough and the traffic moving so freely that, had I wished to cross, I'd
have looked for a crossing or, as min, somewhere with an central
'island' etc.

Unfortunately, not everyone shows such caution. A woman of, perhaps
30-40 decided to try and run across the road. She 'made it' but only
because a car had better brakes/the driver had better reactions than her
running ability.Â* She blamed the driver, at least judging by her shouts.

Who would you blame?

It depends on the visibility, if the driver could see the woman and it
was obvious she was going to be in the way then the driver should have
been able to slow down without emergency braking.
Its usually quite easy to spot pedestrians that are going to bolt if you
can see them.

It's a "highway", shared use between pedestrians (who have a right to
be there), horse riders (who have a right to be there), cyclists (who
I think have a right to be there) and vehicle drivers (who have
'permission' to be there if they have the right licences etc.).

The 'road' isn't just for cars/lorries.

--
Chris Green
·