Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default 8 Foot Log Post Knife Display HOW?

On 2/22/18 11:08 AM, G Ross wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 11:14:08 PM UTC-6, Clint wrote:
Thanks in advance for the help. My son has ever-growing knife
collection. I
would like to stand a rough log post in his room in a corner from the
floor to
the ceiling and make it look like his knives are sticking out the side
randomly going from top to bottom or bottom to top. LOL.Â* I just do
not know
the best way to make the slots for the holders. The knives will have the
blades inserted into the side of the log.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ow-814927-.htm

??Â* Drill large enough holes, for the knives to fit, into the log.
Rip or split some large dowels (or plugs, of some kind) in half, then
insert into the holes... no glue.Â*Â* Slip the knives between the
dowel/plug halves.Â*Â* Improvise, as need be.

This similar idea came from my making driftwood Christmas tree.
Driftwood tree top and limbs.Â*Â* Stabbed the limbs into holes drilled
into the 6" diam tree top.Â* It turned out pretty neat.Â*Â* After
Christmas holidays, the tree was decorated with Mardi Gras decor.
Similarly, I erected a 15' driftwood cypress tree-top pole, for a
friend. nailed large nails along the height and stuck bottles onto the
nails, i.e., a bottle tree.

Sonny

You could also plug the hole with round Styrofoam stick, insert the
blade in that. You can buy 1 inch diameter Styrofoam sticks from Amazon,
possibly larger diameter if needed.Â* The end of the foam can be painted
with special paint from a craft store.

Good idea. It's very easy to bore round, deep holes.
He could also use pipe insulation for bigger holes.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--