Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Speaking Of Trim Work...How To Remove?

On 2/22/18 6:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 00:13:57 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:49:56 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/21/18 10:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:24:52 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/21/18 9:41 PM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Well, it is made of wood so...

I need to remove about 12' of 3 1/4" shoe base moulding. (It's pretty beat
up and I don't feel like stripping/filling it.) The problem is that the
bottom 1/4"+ is behind the luan/linoleum so it has to come up then out.

I did a 3' section by cutting the nails with my multi-function tool but I'm
wondering if there is an easier way. Getting to the bottom nails was more
poke-and-hope than I'd like. I guess I could rip the shoe base in half
(with the MF tool) to make it easier to get to the bottom nails.

Obviously, I can get this done, but I'm open to suggestions from the
wisdom of the wRec. This might be fun. ;-)

If you know where the nails are, use a nail set and drive them through.

+1

-1

Just "knowing" where they are doesn't help. I know they're lower than the
finish floor.

Just tear it out per my suggestion of the pry bar.
It's not rocket surgery.

There is another simple way to do it, after you do a bit of more
difficult work. Make a jig to hold your 4" angle grinder at a shallow
angle to cut the base just proud of the vinyl flooring, with the
cut-off wheel pointing just slightly down. It will make a bit of
wood-smoke, but it will leave a nice smooth surface to set your nrw
molding on. Perhaps one of the new mini circular saw blades will fit
on the grinder to make coarser sawdust and less smoke - - -

He's got a "multifunction tool" by which I assume something along the
lines of a Multimaster. The round blade in one of those should cut
the molding as you describe with no smoke.

Put down a layer of blue tape and a couple of layers of duct tape on
top of that to protect the floor (the blue tape to make for easy
peel-off later, the duct tape to provide a wear layer) and the
multitool with a circular offset blade should be able to cut flush
without damaging the floor.

I would advise practicing this technique on a surface that doesn't
matter first--not enough tape and you'll wear through the tape before
the cut's done, and if you get careless you can go through any amount
of tape fairly quickly.

This is the kind of blade I have in mind
https://www.amazon.com/Fein-63502113210-Oscillating-Segmented-Circular/dp/B019A32UQO

I like that idea for masking tape/duct tape. I'm going to remember that.

There's no need for a flush cut in this application, so I'd avoid the
risk of scratching the floor by making the cut an an angle so the
tool/blade isn't touching the floor.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)