Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Speaking Of Trim Work...How To Remove?

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 12:31:30 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/21/18 11:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 12:14:00 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:49:56 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/21/18 10:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:24:52 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/21/18 9:41 PM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Well, it is made of wood so...

I need to remove about 12' of 3 1/4" shoe base moulding. (It's pretty beat
up and I don't feel like stripping/filling it.) The problem is that the
bottom 1/4"+ is behind the luan/linoleum so it has to come up then out.

I did a 3' section by cutting the nails with my multi-function tool but I'm
wondering if there is an easier way. Getting to the bottom nails was more
poke-and-hope than I'd like. I guess I could rip the shoe base in half
(with the MF tool) to make it easier to get to the bottom nails.

Obviously, I can get this done, but I'm open to suggestions from the
wisdom of the wRec. This might be fun. ;-)

If you know where the nails are, use a nail set and drive them through.

+1

-1

Just "knowing" where they are doesn't help. I know they're lower than the
finish floor.

Just tear it out per my suggestion of the pry bar.
It's not rocket surgery.

There is another simple way to do it, after you do a bit of more
difficult work. Make a jig to hold your 4" angle grinder at a shallow
angle to cut the base just proud of the vinyl flooring, with the
cut-off wheel pointing just slightly down. It will make a bit of
wood-smoke, but it will leave a nice smooth surface to set your nrw
molding on. Perhaps one of the new mini circular saw blades will fit
on the grinder to make coarser sawdust and less smoke - - -

...and then rip the shoe base since it needs to be the same height as the shoe
base it's going to butt up to further along the wall...shoe base that is not going
to be removed. I think I'll pass on that idea.

I don't know what you mean by "shoe base," but Clare has a good idea,
there.

Shoe base, as far as I tought, is one of many types of baseboard. Maybe
I'm using the wrong term. Like I said it's late. ;-) (Bedtime after this.)

This is what I am dealing with:

https://i.imgur.com/VkP9gGt.jpg

If you're replacing 3-1/2" baseboard with 3-1/2" baseboard, then you
could rip the existing base flush with the new finished flooring and
install new base on top.

Easier/safer to rip the existing "baseboard" on the wall, cut the bottom
nails and slip in a new piece. It'll line up evenly with the existing
baseboard that won't be removed.

Like I said, I'll get it out and probably in less than an hour. Certainly in
less time than cutting the existing flush and ripping the new.

You don't need shoe molding unless there's "something to hide."
Meaning, a gap between the finished flooring and the wall/baseboard, or
a wavy horizontal line in the finished floor that created dips that the
baseboard can't follow.