Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default does all wood darken?

wrote in
:

On Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 10:48:52 AM UTC-5, dustyone wrote:
Hello all,

Question:

Does all wood darken with age? Cherry, of course, is an
example of such a species. Do other woods behave in the same
way? One would think that most color would fade with exposure
to light, and that cherry is an anomaly.

Curt Blood
Hartford, CT

I want to buy a beautiful Queen Anne table that the owner says
is cherry. I leaf is clearly darker, presumably because it was
stored. I was hoping to put it in the sun to let it lighten up
so it will match. Any thoughts on what I can do to get it to
lighten up?

If the piece really is cherry, that's not going to work the way you think it will: cherry gets
darker when it's exposed to sunlight, not lighter. If the leaf that was stored is darker than the
rest of the piece which was exposed to light, then it's probably walnut, certainly isn't cherry.

Your first step is to confirm what wood it is. Post a picture on some photo-sharing site so we
can all see it.