Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Hole for rotary airer clothes drier.

On 21/02/2018 13:44, newshound wrote:
On 20/02/2018 15:46, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:54:32 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

I need to replace a rotary airer clothes drier. The old one fell down
probably in a strong wind because the bottom of the post had corroded.

The drier is in the middle of a tiled patio. There is a hole in the
middle of the patio which must be about 30cm deep. The old airer had a
metal spike which was about 40cm long, so the top was about 10cm above
ground level. The shaft diameter was about 35mm

I propose to buy a Brabantia Rotary Topspinner 40m. The shaft diameter
is 45mm. There is a metal spike for this drier which is 45cm long, but
if I bought one, how would I make the hole deep enough and maybe a
little larger in diameter? I don't want much of the spike about ground
level. Maybe just enough to be able to pull it out of the ground should
there be a need.

Michael Chare

SDS drill.

Sounds like the OP may not be very experienced, so might not have one.

Does the "spike" of the current one come out? If it is just earth at the
bottom (check with a stick or suitable metal poker), you can probably
hammer the new one to a suitable depth, once you have enlarged the hole
in the "tiles".

Depending on exactly what the "tiles" are, it might be easy enough to
enlarge the hole using a cold chisel, provided they are not laid on
thick (or strong) concrete.

I failed to mention that the bottom of the hole is very likely rock. I
have been wondering about using a diamond tipped core drill and then
trying to smash the core using a long chisel. There are some youtube
videos about drilling rocks with diamond tipped drills. Maybe my
Parkside battery drill might manage.

--
Michael Chare