Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Smart meter and meter reader this AM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
The Other Mike writes:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:46:30 -0000, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:

OK they do say they reserve the right to check it, but what can a meter
reader do other than read the display of what they must have been able to
get by their link unless there is a major bug we do not know about.

They check the security seals on the meters and the main supply fuse,
also the condition of the flexible stainless pipe on the gas supply.

Possibly the integrity of the earth bonding too.

Not for decades.
Replaced my parents' CU in 1999, and made a call asking for supply
fuse to be resealed. After a couple of years and several meter readers,
it hadn't been done, so I called again. It was still on file, but meter
readers no longer do it, so almost 20 years later (and many meter
readers), it's never been done.

They don't seem to care much about these things where we live. Perhaps
it depends on the likelihood of the local population stealing
electricity. The electricity board (whatever) replaced our local
distribution transformer and put no seals back on the meter or fuse,
having taken them all off for some reason during the process. And
no-one has commented in the last ten years or so.

--

Roger Hayter