Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheChief TheChief is offline

Default Heating Down Diagnostic Help Required - Resolved

Hi Guys

In case the good folks here that replied to my initial post are
interested, here's the full story.

My vented heating system packed up with air in some rads and some
that wouldn't bleed.
The boiler fired, wound up then shut down.

So I called in the plumbers that reconfigured the system in 2006.
The guy inspected the airing cupboard plumbing and said that he
suspected a blocked cold feed make up pipe.
I left him to it and cleared off to work.
Er indoors rang to say that the plumber had gone after 2 hours,
but the heating wasn't fixed.

So I decided to follow up on his diagnosis at the weekend and
replace the cold feed.
When I looked in the airing cupboard I found that he had disturbed
a joint and it was leaking. So I would need to remove a section
of pipe that he had removed and remake the joint -
excellent.

So I removed the section of 22mm pipe on the suction side of the
pump and discovered that the drop loop where the feed connects to
the main was blocked solid!
Also the rest of the feed line back to the header tank had
collected crud such that the 15mm pipe had a usable bore diameter
of approx 3mm!
I seem to remember when I moved into the place that the system was
pumping over. So the constant introduction of fresh air for
however long has caused deposits that the MagnaClean filter would
not see as the feed pipe is not part of the main
circuit.

Anywho, having cleared the blockage and replaced and rerouted the
fresh water feed, the heating system is now working as normal.
Good news as a cold spell is forecast for next week.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/