Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 02/20/2018 01:39 AM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
I don't know when HF came into existence, but thank God they did, as, well,
for about $150 or $200, you get all the tools you need for changing and
statically balancing tires that you don't already have, which means they
pay for themselves in just about 10 tire changes, which, for me, is only a
year or two (what with 4 cars to maintain).

In 1988 I found the OEM jack was barely adequate to change the tire on
the F150 and stopped at Moab, UT to buy a bottle jack. I made a
disparaging comment about the Chinese manufacture and the guy behind the
counter said he had a made in the USA one for twice the price that
wouldn't jack the truck up any higher. I still have the Chinese jack
and it still works.

I use the HF sockets and wrenches in my bike toolkits. If the kit gets
ripped off I can replace it for about $50 and they get the job done.
Other HF purchases haven't worked as well. When it comes to HF, the
fewer moving parts the better.