Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rosie the riveter's lathe?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:20:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:24:51 -0600, Ignoramus19723

On 2018-02-20, Ignoramus19723

wrote:
My opinion is that it is a slotter and the machine is set up for
making a gear. as there ar no chips around, it does not depict a
production situation, maybe a photo op of a nice looking female
next to
a slotter.

and here it is, a Pratt and Whitney vertical slotter that looks
very
similar to Rosie's machine.

https://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?005901

Look at picture No. 3:

https://www.surplusrecord.com/listphotos/005901b.jpg

That's it, all right. Now, what was Rosie doing with the
handwheels?

She's not indexing it; she isn't even looking at the indexing
handwheel. Is she eyeballing the rotary indexing and the X-Y
positioning? Unlikely, unless the bore of the gear has been marked
out
on a surface plate and she's setting it up to cut to the mark.

But if she's doing that, how does she know that she's set up
perpendicular to the centerline?

Once again, it looks like a photo op.

--
Ed Huntress

Of course it's a photo op(portunity), there aren't any chips and she
isn't wearing safety glasses. Her hands are on two handles to
support
herself leaning forward. Why would you expect 'cinema verite' in a
busy factory?

Well, not to argue, but to add some clarification: If she's setting
up
a keyway-cutting job, you won't see any chips. And if she's
adjusting
X-Y position to cut from or to a scribed line, her hands would be on
two handwheels. That still doesn't explain what's going on, even if
it's correct. There are other things that don't look right.

As for the photos, having taken photos of machine operations for 40
years, including for over 500 articles and dozens of magazine
covers,
I'm just used to making sure it's real. Of course my readers, who
were
real industry people, would know the difference and would raise hell
if I faked it. g

I assume the photo was shot as part of a general war-promotion
story,
and photo composition probably was more important that photo
veracity.

My reaction was that they borrowed the boss' pretty secretary for the
photo shoot. I don't expect models to know -anything- beyond how to
pose.

-jsw