Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 12:10:05 PM UTC-5, ultred ragnusen wrote:
wrote:

I think not - but I've heard people say use the shortest extension bar you
can get your hands on. I don't understand why. It should be the same torque
if I used a 16-inch extension bar, right?

It's the same torque in the rotational direction. But there's some downforce on the end of the extension and that gets magnified. Of course you resist it with your hand, but if you don't do that well you pull the socket off sideways and round the nut.

In the factory where we needed a cheater bar on most bolts, there was no point in trying a 12 point, you'd round the bolt head every time. We used 6 points except where you needed a 4 or 8 point.