Posted to rec.woodworking
sawdustmaker sawdustmaker is offline

Default laguna 1412 bandsaw issues

I'm thinking that I should've bought a "good ol Delta" bandsaw to start
with since I didn't have any experience with bandsaws before I bought the
Laguna. I've had several issues with it.
1. Guide bar pinon block and wheel assembly was badly manufactured and
ruined the top and bottom 3" of the guide bar rack teeth. Apparently an
inner c clip that held the pinon gear in place in the block assemply
wasn't inserted or inserted wrong causing the gear to wobble and strip
the rack teeth. After 'discussing' this with Laguna customer service and
sending them pictures they agreed to replace both parts. It took several
phone calls and emails with me saying that if I could have fixed the damn
thing myself I would've, but I couldn't get the pinon box open with out
destroying it in the process. (sigh). Anyway that's fixed and working
correctly now.

2. Guides seem not stay adjusted, in particular the lower ones. Low guide
block and post knobs are almost inaccesible for a normal persons hand.
I've cranked down on them but they always work loose.
2.a Ceramic blocks / holders arn't square to the blade. I've shimmed
the upper ones with several layers of paper which makes it barely
acceptable. I've given up on the lower ones because of the accessibility
issues. Seems like Laguna would've seen this problem early on and
corrected it. Or, maybe they know about it and don't care.

3. The tracking knob does not want to adjust easily, and when it does the
whole mechanism seems to fall apart internally until the knob is almost
tightened down completely. Yes the lock knob has been completely
loosened. Another manufacturing issue maybe?

Seems like for the big bucks this thing cost there wouldn't be these
issues, maybe I got a lemon.

Has anyone else seen this stuff with the 1412?
I'll go read the manual and "The Bandsaw Book" now.