Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WRF is non-adult social care?

On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 12:02:32 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:32:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It doesn't sound like you have been in a merit based pay scheme.

Merit based schemes have been proven not to work.

They benefit the hard working ones who are going places irrespective of
bonuses, and disincentivise those who struggle and reduce their
performance.

So overall an expensive useless exercise.

Much the same as piece work which was once the fashion.

Basically the idea of theorists with no real experience of working those
conditions. And certainly no true figures to prove their theories work.

When working for BT on bench electronics repair I was taken aside by
the union rep and asked to slow down.

We had a simialr thing here but not from the unions but those doing the work said the harder you work the more work you'll be given and the less likely you are to get promoted and then you'll hear how well managment have done and that uis why they have got promoted. It takes a long time to understand this and I'm now passing on this wisdom to newcomers. It;s not quite as bad as it was but the culture is still the same, even after telling managment what is going wrong they sill don't listen unless it;s in their interest.

They had negotiated a time with 'da management' and (apparently) it
made the other workers look bad if someone was doing the work in half
the agreed time. ;-(

Yep if management get jobs done quicker they go home or to a meeting.......

The frustrating thing was that you couldn't work at your normal speed
and then do (appropriate) 'private' stuff to make up the time, you
actually had to work slower. ;-(

That would be annoying, but why it's taken managment 30+ years to sort the heating in the building out I'm not quite sure, must be all those 'workers' working slow.

I left BT and went to Kodak [1] as a field tech and they had much more
realistic time expectations.

How are kodak doing today as they didn;t think digital photography would catch on quite so quick so sort of mised the boat.