Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_12_] michael adams[_12_] is offline

Default OT fruit - oranges

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 19/02/2018 10:02, michael adams wrote:
Ethnicity concerns people's cultural identity both objective and subjective
as compared with the cultural mores of the majority population, and has
nothing to do with geography as such, at all.

That's kind of the point. The term "ethnic" has come to be used where other terms are
now politically incorrect.

No Andy its simply more convenient. Around where I live as far as I can tell without
actually quizzing people and asking to see their passports there are shops serving
Muslim Indians, Muslim Afghans, Gujrat Hindus, Punjabi Sikhs, West Indians, Japanese
who I presume follow Shinto, Catholic Poles and other maybe other East Europeans plus
the odd sprinkling of Chinese. I only know the latter because having a local Japanese
enclave I automatically assumed that a person was Japanese when in fact they weren't.

I find it a lot simpler to use the term Ethnic Andy, as opposed to your epithet of
choice
for such shops, which is "Asian" I believe.

This is simply because if I list them all as I have above, doubtless another smartarse
will
crawl out of the woodworrk and point out that the Irish or some other group are also an
ethnic minority who doubtless must also live in the area, so why haven't I listed them
as well ?.

Ethic shops serve the type of people who are aren't prepared to buy the sort of rubbish
sold by the supermarkets, which apparently satisfy the neeeds of the majority of the
population.

Or in the case of short sighted yokels, whose patronage of big supermarkets
has meant the closure of village stores people have no real choice in the matter.

So you'll just have suck it up I'm afraid.

Or as Terry Thomas might have said to Ian Carmichael in School for Scoundrels

"Hard pears old chap. Hard pears"

michael adams