Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default WRF is non-adult social care?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:32:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It doesn't sound like you have been in a merit based pay scheme.

Merit based schemes have been proven not to work.

They benefit the hard working ones who are going places irrespective of
bonuses, and disincentivise those who struggle and reduce their
performance.

So overall an expensive useless exercise.

Much the same as piece work which was once the fashion.

Basically the idea of theorists with no real experience of working those
conditions. And certainly no true figures to prove their theories work.

When working for BT on bench electronics repair I was taken aside by
the union rep and asked to slow down.

They had negotiated a time with 'da management' and (apparently) it
made the other workers look bad if someone was doing the work in half
the agreed time. ;-(

The frustrating thing was that you couldn't work at your normal speed
and then do (appropriate) 'private' stuff to make up the time, you
actually had to work slower. ;-(

I left BT and went to Kodak [1] as a field tech and they had much more
realistic time expectations.

Luckily I could still work and walk quickly and knew all the shortcuts
around central London but some did have trouble keeping up.

Cheers, T i m

[1] During your induction they gave you a *very* well equipped tool
case and when we all walking into the main office on our first day the
established tech's chuckled at us. During the first week we all shed
some of the heavier / less important tools, even replacing the large
tool case with something more compact and walking / public transport
friendly. ;-)