Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
ultred ragnusen ultred ragnusen is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

wrote:

Royal Music Association?

Rubber Manufacturers Association.
http://www.rma.org/wp-content/upload...lchart1111.pdf

Short summary:
http://www.rma.org/wp-content/upload...ir_handout.pdf

All tire shops in the USA follow RMA guidelines (they must, by insurance
rules and for legal liability reasons).

No professional would be caught dead using the rope plugs, even as we all
know them to work just fine, in practice.

I've had good luck with the common rope plugs,
including on an almost new motorcycle tire. I rode home slowly but
without any exciting events. A few more short trips without any
disasters and I forgot about it. It did develop a slow leak by the time
the tire was worn enough to be replaced.

While almost all of us have had continued success with the emergency rope
plug, they're forbidden in professional use for a variety of reasons,
explained below by the TIA.

The Tire Industry Association decries use of the rope plug he
https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-ma...ce/tire-repair

Here's their video on the topic:
https://youtu.be/mdTAalpkSLM

Having said that, I reiterate we've all successfully fixed dozens of tires
with the rope plugs, so all I'm saying is that there is a right way and a
wrong way, and both ways have worked for all of us - but the right way is
the right way for a reason.

I like doing things the right way, unless I'm stuck on the shoulder of the
road, in which case the wrong way is the right way for that situation.

I now carry Dynaplug kits on both bikes that have tubeless tires. Knock
on wood, I have not had to field test them. On a bike you don't have the
option of getting out the spare (unless you ride a Ural with a sidecar)
so roadside repairs are a necessity.

Here's a video of a guy plugging bike tires with a tubeless repair kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_nK8V-nU0

Take a look at that biker's concept of a "pocket knife" at 53 seconds!
https://youtu.be/M5_nK8V-nU0?t=53

I'm curious if you mount and balance your bike tires? I did that when I
owned a bike. It was hard to find a tire shop, nearby anyway, that mounted
tires, so I learned how to do that myself. Bike tires are easier than car
tires, which themselves are easier than SUV tires (all of which I've done)
which are easier than truck tires (which I've never done).

Speaking from experience, plugging
a tubeless tire is a lot easier than breaking down a tubed tire and
patching the tube while the bike is propped up on whatever you can find.

Plugging from the outside is pretty simple on all tires.

Patchplugging from the inside is simple - if - if you have the tools, which
cost about $150 and which last forever.