Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Red Prepper Red Prepper is offline

Default How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:19:39 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 00:31:42 -0500, Clare Snyder

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 19:45:48 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:22:56 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in

message
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:02:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in

message
om...

I noticed some other things as I was winding down the

business.
Most
of my clients had been totally helpless with DIY/mech/elec.
devices
and probably 80%+ had been KoolAid-drinkin', CNN-watchin'

Dems. I
had
to keep a real tight rein on my lips.

Coincidentally I was discussing that last night with a female
professional photographer, while otherwise drinking beer and

making
animal sounds with the guys around a bonfire out in the woods.

LOL

Her current art project is documenting tradesmen to show them

as
normal humans to an audience of lawyers, stockbrokers et al

who look
down on manual skills (that they lack).

Yes, being a blue-collar worker from day 1, I have felt the

scorn of
so called "professional" people. (people of color aren't the

only
people who are discriminated against.)

I'm heartened to hear that she is doing that project, and I

hope it
goes viral.

The envious scorn goes both ways, I get it for being a college
graduate.

I don't know about envy, but I can imagine that it is even more
widespread nowadays, with what colleges are turning out. Video:
parents attended 8% of job interviews and 3% of parents actually
participated in the interview. Aren't Millennials interesting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwG5...ex=457&list=WL

In the past, more scorn went out to overeducated folks who had a

dozen
post-nominal letters after their name, but who couldn't tie their

own
shoes. (I think Rodney Dangerfield picked up his respect schtick

from
some of them.) That said, too many people can't handle someone

around
them knowing more than they do, and that's a shame.

I settled the argument with one tradesman by telling him
that a degree may not prove superior intelligence but it does
demonstrate the persistence to complete a long, tedious and

boring
task.

That it does, plus, there are many types of intelligence.

Obtaining a science or engineering degree is so far beyond

normal
experience that it isn't a good example to compare to.

=Extreme= STEM.

My mother worked at the NH State Library where a degree in

-anything-
was required for promotion above her level.

Lots of companies now require some degree in whatever to even

accept
your resume/CV.

I got my degree from the school of hard knocks.

ANd like Marty Raney " you want my resume' ? -" and he shows his
work-worn hands - - -

+1 for that.

Ed Huntress got his **** in a dress from the school of crusty ****s.
His daddy was the Dean.