Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 02/19/2018 03:30 PM, ultred ragnusen wrote:
wrote:

I was talking to someone recently who is in the car rescue / roadside
assistance business and he was saying that one of the growing problems
he sees is that cars come without spare tyres and an increasing number
of call outs are to people where the tyre cannot be repaired with a can
of squirty gunk and there is no spare in the vehicle.

It's off topic, but I put the following related items in my trunk kit, even
though I prefer to repair my flats at home by removing the tire completely
from the wheel and then using a one-piece patchplug that both seals and
fills the hole from the inside out.
1. Compressor (operated off the cigarette lighter socket)
2. External plug kit (they work just fine even though they're not approved)
3. Magnetic LED light from HF (so you can see what you're doing at night)

I've got a Petzl Tikka headlamp in the car, along with a couple of
flashlights. The advantage of a headlamp is the beam is focused exactly
where you are looking rather than trying to position a separate light.
The flashlights, one of which is 1000 lumens, allow for a wider beam.