Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rosie the riveter's lathe?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:41:52 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi Folks,

What is this machine?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.bb8abd1abc2c

The Washington Post article from which is comes refers to it as a turret lathe (2/3 the way down the article, and just a "lathe" elsewhere) in this obituary on "Rosie the Rivetter". But it looks more like a milling machine with a rotary table than a turret lathe. Is it a gear broach?

Whoooeee! That's a right nice lookin' machinist. Hubba hubba.
Naomi, if you were Rosie's inspiration, ya done good, girl. RIP

Anybody recognize it?

It looks more like a vertical shaper to me, set up for gear ID
slotting. (not that I'd know anything about either, yet.

There were vertical turret lathes: https://is.gd/dIctwu
And there were vertical shapers: https://is.gd/mYNUkg
Which look pretty similar at a glance.

-- Sir Winston Churchill