Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Peter Hill[_4_] Peter Hill[_4_] is offline

Default Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

On 19-Feb-18 11:44 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 23:02:07 -0000, ultred ragnusen
wrote:

*wrote:

* I average about one puncture every 10 years between my 2 vehicles.

I have heard many times that nowadays, people don't get flats as
often, but
I can't see why unless radials, by their very nature, are more
resistant to
flats than were the old-style bias-ply tires.

I get a few a year.* Mainly nails from incompetant builders.* (Builders
have an average IQ of 50).

I don't count the averages, especially since I repair neighbors' tires
for
them at times, but I think I have been repairing at least one flat a
year,
what with four cars now in the driveway and a few neighbors whom I
help out
(and who help me in return).

So I average one flat a year, roughly, where I use the RMA-approved
patch-plug method, which can only be done from the inside. On the road, I
would use the rope-plug method, which, we all know, works just fine (even
thought it's not RMA approved).

For me, it's just so very satisfying to fix a flat at home.

I just pull the wheel, mark the location, break the bead, remove the
tire,
repair the hole from the inside out using the RMA-approved method,
replace
the valve stem if necessary, remount the tire, test in the pool, check
the
static balance, and then mount the tire back on the vehicle (rotating
other
tires if desired) to the proper torque spec.

It just feels good to do things the right way.

To save ten quid at the local garage?* You're nuts.

Where do you lot live? Remind to stay right away.