Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default OT Cloud cuckoo land.

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 00:12:43 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
But it has been common for a very long time for people not to stay
long in their first job. They can usually get higher wages and
promotion more easily by moving companies.

Before I started freelancing, I jumped jobs a few times

In every case it was not because I wasn't being paid enough

Same here. It was down to poor working conditions and boring work.

Exactly why tube drivers are well paid. ;-)

As an aside and whilst I get the thought, has anyone here been a tube
driver to be able to say just how 'boring' it is (or isn't)?

Ok, I can understand how when observed from a job some might consider
'interesting', we are all different (psychometric profile) and
therefore would be 'entertained' by different things.

So, from a day-to-day POV I guess it's fundamentally fairly
straightforward but do they have rotas and rosters that mean they
could be driving different routes, either daily or occasionally?

AIUI

They always work out of a single depot so get to drive the same route every
day

For the purposes of making sure that they get adequate daily rest breaks
they will get a shift "week" which are a string of shifts during the same
parts of each day. Next week they might get shifts in a different part of
the day. Note that their shift week is a variable feast here. It doesn't
mean Monday to Friday.

Of course there are many times that those shifts will start at 5am or finish
at 2am

If they get shifts that they don't personally like, they can swap with a
colleague if they can find someone who prefers to do that shift.

Whilst 'most trips' are uneventful (certainly as seen by the
passengers), who knows what may have happened and was 'dealt with' by
the driver ... be it a signaling issue, minor malfunction or summat
else?

Or how would 'most people' deal with a jumper

whilst personally upsetting, there is sod all a driver can to do to "assist"
a jumper.

... or some terrorist
action on their train?

How does a bus driver deal with this? Do they get 50 grand a year on the
miniscule possibility that it happens?

Whilst there are accidents at work ... operating heavy machinery etc
you are probably more likely to only hurt yourself because you screw
up, rather than be hurt as a result of other peoples actions.

bus driver, coach driver - neither of which get a salary significantly above
NMW.

tim