Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Question about Electic Motors

On 17/02/2018 19:15, Tim+ wrote:
Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 18:07:34 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

One problem with that is that it moves the disc (and pads) out of reach
of easy inspection/service.

The real problem with that is the possibility of a high speed wheel
lockup under emergency braking snapping the drive shaft as a result of
the rotational energy stored in the wheel.

Compared to the kinetic energy of a car I would have thought that the
rotational energy of the wheel is relatively trivial..

I would agree that it introduces a new €śweak point€ť in the braking system
though. Off the top of my head, Jaguar E-type, Rover 2000/3,500 and
Citroen ZX all had inboard discs,.

Did they have a reputation for snapping drive shafts?

The limiting torque on the shaft will be the braking effort available,
which is unlikely to be much beyond the traction limit. It's not beyond
the wit of man to overspec the thing enough so it doesn't happen.

fx googles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inboard_brake

Quite a few manufacturers.

Andy