Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default soft off/on switching

What exactly do you mean? Old transceivers with valves have capacitors in
them that need to be formed, and slowly bringing up the volts can do this
kindly, but sometimes they do still go bang and spread their contents of
silber bits and muck all over the innards.
I have an old valve amp and got away with powering that up after a few
years of cold with little issues though there is a slight hum, and an
occasional rustle but I feel this is not from the electrolytic.
More likely a dry joint, capacitor of the small type or a dodgy resistor.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
can cold and high humidity affect soft off/on switching in a transceiver
that wouldn't affect a hard off/on switch? ....
--
Resisting Freemasonry for 39 years .....
Fat Masons need love ...