Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Meter socket

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 06:48:51 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 2/18/2018 5:24 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/17/18 11:38 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:31:33 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Call your power company again and tell them what happened and that
you are worried that someone could get hurt and would they please
come out ASAP.* If you are polite and pleasant they should not cut
off your power as that would be causing possible harm to the
residents of the house,

Bad advice. The PoCo does not own that meter can, he does and they
might just cut the drop if he tries to play the safety card. It is
much better to just replace the cover and call for a new seal.
If his usage has been consistent and doesn't spike after it is sealed
they usually say no harm no foul.

***** I don't know about the meter sockets in town.** The utility owns
the ones out in the country for the few utilities I've dealt with.* They wire the
topside and the customer is responsible for the bottom side.*
The power company puts the meter in after the customer's wiring
is done inside the meter.

* Out here where I live we own everything from the weather-head on .
Power company ownership ends where the wire from the pole connects to my
wiring .

The power company will own the meter on a residential service
and they really do not tolerate any tampering.
Certain safety/emergency situations will be forgiven, maybe ..

https://www.wnhydro.com/en/your-busi...your-meter.asp

The customer will own the meter base, stack, and wires usually.

John T.