Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Toilet keeps filling

On 17/02/2018 20:56, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 00:03:09 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 16/02/2018 19:47, Dave W wrote:
On 16/02/2018 19:42, Murmansk wrote:
Fair enough but the thing is kind of "built-in" so getting to the
underneath of the cistern could be a serious challenge!

You need to replace the ballcock, not get underneath the cistern.

Since its a bottom fill, and there will be nuts that need undoing under
the cistern, he would need to get there.

True enough if he needs to replace the whole assembly.

Yup.

Trying to service the one that is there first would be a better option.

However, he might
be able to replace the blue part containing the diaphragm if it's
anything like my side entry FluidMaster valve where that bit can be
removed with a quarter turn or less twist for servicing (I've got an
identical FluidMaster stored as a spare - the original that was swapped
out for one recovered from the downstairs shower room toilet cistern when
we had the whole lot revamped 6 or 7 years ago). It looks like I might do
better to swap it back, now that I've modded the air break vent cap to
prevent the stuck air break valve from allowing water to spray out past
the cistern lid during each filling cycle[1].

Many of them can be taken apart. Often wiping any grit or debris away
and flushing some water through it when open will fix many let by problems.

Either way, he'll still have to shut off the water feed. I still haven't
found a round tuit to fit a shut off valve in the feed to our half
landing toilet cistern to save me having to run down to the basement
stopcock and back... TWICE! each time I need to seriously fettle the
FluidMaster valve which is currently allowing the water to slowly seep
past its diaphragm valve, causing a slow but annoying drip from the
overflow.[2] :-(

I got called to a former neighbours house to deal with a valve letting
by. It took a couple of visits to fix since there must have been a burst
of contamination in the water - and it got grit in it several days in a
row.

--
Cheers,

John.