Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressed gases questions

wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 15:40:48 -0500, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

Just curious, I'm not transferring any gases. I was just watching
the
guy fill our propane cylinder and it got me to wondering.
Here's the first situation: Let's say I have two gas cylinders of
equal size. One is filled with a gas that is liquid at room
temperature when compressed, the other is empty. The cylinders are
upright. Now the cylinders are connected with a pipe so that the
gas
from the full one flows into the empty one. As the gas starts to
fill
the empty cylinder it cools enough that it liquifies and rains
into
the cylinder. But once the pressure equalizes the rain stops and the
end result is that both cylinders are at the same pressure but that
the originally full cylinder will have more liquid in it.
Here's the second situation: Everything is the same except the
empty cylinder is much larger than the full one, maybe ten times as
much volume. Once the pressure is equalized between the two
cylinders
will the much larger cylinder now have more liquid than the smaller
one? I think it will.
Thanks,
Eric

As the higher pressure gas flows into the second cylinder that
cylinder will
warm up from the heat of compression so I don't think there will be
any
"rain". The first cylinder will cool from the heat of evaporation
as liquid
evaporates to replenish the head pressure. Once the tank pressures
and
temperatures equalize any liquid will stay where it is, since to
make it
move you have to supply heat of evaporation to the liquid to make
vapor, and
remove that same amount of heat to condense vapor where you want the
liquid
to end up. Cylinder volumes only matter in the time to reach
thermal
equilibrium.

Greetings Carl,
I forgot about the empty cylinder heating up. But if it is large
enough I still think some gas would liquify before the tank heated
up
too much. There must be a mathematical way to figure it out. I might
need to do a little research.
Eric

Did you read the reference I gave you to latent and specific heat
calculations?

-jsw