Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Times table check trialled ahead of rollout

On 2/16/18 8:34 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 9:11:28 AM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2018 05:37 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I do have a slide rule, but never had to use it much. I still have my
old log books, too. I remember a few of the rich kids at the school (a
grammar school, so an interesting mixture of scruffy kids like me, and
rich kids) had the Sinclair calculators, and we'd have fun getting them
to display ShELLOIL and ESSOOIL.

In college the ultimate status symbol was a Keuffel & Esser slide rule
with the optional magnifying cursor carried on your belt in a leather
sheath.

Personally, I had a $1.50 plastic 'Accu-math' with just the C, D, and CI
scales. Periodic rubbing with a #2 drafting pencil kept the slide
sliding. I got the same answers as the $30 models.

When I was in college I had a K&E slide rule hanging from my belt. I was out of college when I met college students who had $700.00 to purchase an HP or TI calculator with the tiny little red LED dot display. What I own now was science fiction back then. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Vintage Monster

On my first professional job back in the day, the boss ordered a large
10 key desk calculator with a lighted display from one of the big
"electronics" companies for about that same amount of money.

It was delivered a few days later by an A+ brunette sales babe wearing a
tight short skirt and tight sweater who gave a demonstration to the
department on how to use it's several features. You can tell what I
mainly remember from the meeting;-)

--
If people, who cross our border illegally are not Illegal€” then what are
they?