Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet keeps filling

Brian - you won't be able to see the picture, but it's a Torbeck valve,
not the usual ball valve.

I have posted a comprehensive set of instructions, gained from bitter
experience!

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 09:47:30 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

The usual faults on normal ballcock or float valve designs are usually.
1. the valve or its washer is scaled up or in some other way knackered.
the
ballcaock or float has a hole in it which makes floating a challenge!
In the first instance establish if you have a loft tank fed or a mains
fed
system and buy a whole new valve assembly with the right sized hole,
i.e. big hole loft tank little hole mains fed. Also do not even
consider those with most of their parts made of plastic, they are
rubbish and trying to make the pipe join leak proof has driven many a
DIY er to drink.
If its the float, If its not in too bad a nick and you can see the leak
site. let it drain or evaporate and mend the hole with something like
epoxy resin and then refit.
Otherwise you need a spare and this may or may not still be available
depending on the design. I also hate plastic bits joining this with the
valve as they have just snapped for no reason other than its crap.

Brian