Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default OT fruit - oranges

On 17/02/2018 09:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or well past their date. Oranges are funny things, as some are just no
edible and only really useful in things like preserves etc. I'm told you can
tell by the leaves of the tree, but assuming these are all the edible types,
its hard to really say, but my guess is that they have been perhaps either
picked too soon or too late or left hanging around too long.

Do the buyers for the supermarkets actually taste or perform any quality
control before the fruit gets put on the shelves?

I've just thrown away a packet of pears that seem to have turned to some
form of concrete rather than ripening!