Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default OT fruit - oranges

Or well past their date. Oranges are funny things, as some are just no
edible and only really useful in things like preserves etc. I'm told you can
tell by the leaves of the tree, but assuming these are all the edible types,
its hard to really say, but my guess is that they have been perhaps either
picked too soon or too late or left hanging around too long.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
For a few weeks, we have been buying regular small boxes of oranges from
the local coop, described as 'grade 1 easy peelers' - Spanish mandarin.

Having a sweet tooth, I found them quiet juicy and sweet though not
entirely consistent even from the same box. The last box contents was
different, not so sweet, not so juicy and very pithy, not nice at all so
they were binned. The obvious difference was that they had a lump where
the stalk goes, bulging rather like nipple. Might that suggest they had
been picked too soon, or simply a different variety?