Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default OT fruit - oranges

On 16/02/2018 20:21, wrote:

and reduce the tendency to moulder, to which citrus are quite prone

I always smell citrus in supermarkets and any hint of mustiness the
fruit is left on the shelves.

Stalks on grape bunches shouldn't look withered and dead. If they do the
grape is well past its best.

Supermarkets light their fresh produce areas in such a way to disguise
the early signs of rotting. I often re-check my purchases of fruit in
other areas on the supermarket where the lighting may be different.

Other tricks include packing some vegetables in plastic bags but where
vegetable has been cut the bag is opaque so that you cannot tell if the
cut surface has turned dark brown indicating old stock or long transport
times.