Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30119 Ignoramus30119 is offline

Default How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On 2018-02-14, wrote:
If the oil contains chlorinated hydrcarbons then phosgene gas being
generated in a furnace is a disitinct likelyhood. Since chlorinated
hydrocarbons used to be in several pretty common tapping fluids and
are still used as degreasers today they might be in that oil. I'll bet
an oil analysis isn't very expensive compared to the money you can
save burning the stuff and the money it would cost you if your furnace
was damaged. Or if you or somebody else breathed in a little phosgene.
Are you required to take the oil? How much time do you have to test
the oil?
Eric

I am satisfied with what I found. The maintenance guy said that he
only put lubricating oil in it. The oil does not smell bad in any way
like sulfurized oils would. It also does not tarnish a polished
copper bar.