Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 13:28:35 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 12:17:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My next big foray was writing in dBase. I came up with a barcode
inventory system we used for a $12 million parts inventory with 15
guys dipping into the pot and no dedicated "counter" man.

My first tech job in a factory I set up the parts inventory in Paradox. It took me a long weekend, more than 20 hours work. I had to learn the program then figure out how to input. No help screens back then, not in DOS. Maybe on the Mac.

My boss (plant manager) had told me he didn't know what this Paradox thing was, find out and buy it.

After lunch he called me back in, corporate had told him buying software was prohibited, do not under any circumstance buy that stuff. I said, "uh, boss, you mean this?" and held up the box. Hey, you gave me an order, I got it done. He said oh crap, well keep your mouth shut about it.

A lot of my time was actually in tracking down the bar code hardware,
printing program and integrating it into dBase. I wasn't supposed to
spend any money either, In fact the dBase we were running was one of
the 2 licenses that come with the package I bought for myself. It was
funny when you were sitting in an IBM office watching the start up
splash screen and seeing "Licensed to the Estero River Bait Guano and
Seafood Company" sitting there.