Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Shellac hardening times

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 11:51:31 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/14/2018 4:00 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 5, 2000 at 11:00:00 PM UTC-9, Taig wrote:
Hello Robert,
If you are using Zinser's shellac check the bottom of the can for
the date that it was created on. Shellac only has a shelf life of 6 to 12
months.

I am having this same problem.i just checked the bottom and then the entire surface of both my Zinser cans. no date in sight???? I bought them both at Home Depot???

Not recalling the thread in 2000, but, seems to me you can buy shellac
in chunks, chop it up and dissolve it in some pure booze. I see no
reason a can of Zinser's would go bad, or have a shelf life at all. I
have used cans several years old and works just like new cans. Perhaps
that's why no date on your can? If you have a 20 year old can that
dry's up, chop it up in your wife's coffee grinder and soak it in
alcohol for a while.

Have had Zinser's change from clear to a gray opaque, and when I
opened the can the lid flew hit the ceiling when it blew off. The can
had been used in the winter and sealed, open at 90 f in the summer.