Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default where can I get the right converter to plug a 300W 120V US fan heater into a UK socket?

In article f5984958-eaa4-42d2-ba48-22569d2a0553
@googlegroups.com, says...

I am looking for a reliable convert to plug a 300W 120V US fan heater into a UK socket.

I certainly don't want to get some junk from china.. I don't want some random make.

How do you know that your heater wasn't made in China?

I want to get something reliable that can handle up to 400W or 500W. As there's no risk then as the heater is rated 300W. So if it goes to 380W i'll be ok.

Sorry, but there is one helluva risk!

The Amazon listing for that heater is confusing in the
extreme. At the top it says:

'- 300w Heating Setting'

whilst at the bottom is makes the absurd claim that:

'This device saves you up to 300 watts of energy.'

The link to the user guide doesn't help much either. No rating
is shown anywhere in the guide, nor is that any reference to
the switch for the mythical 300W mode.

This, however, makes interesting reading:

'- Avoid the use of an extension cord because the extension
cord may overheat and cause risk of fire. However, if you must
use an extension cord, the cord shall be No. 14AWG minimum
size and rated not less than 1875 watts.'!

1875W? So you need a 2kW step down transformer then, not a
300W one!

As others have said, it will be cheaper to buy a 2kW heater
with a UK plug than a hefty 2kW step-down transformer which
will also require you to change the plug on the heater.

I'm not convinced that you could do that both safely and
correctly, either.

--

Terry