Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Question about Electic Motors

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:46:24 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Most motors seem to have the same proportions of length to diameter so
there must be some theoretical principal there.
However, I once operated a milling machine that had what was called a
Pancake motor that drove the feeds. It was large diameter and only about 2
inches deep. Then there is the direct drive washing machine.

Any website I should read to clear this in my mind.

I designed, built and 'raced' an electric motorbike with the BVS and
used a 24V DC motor that I believe was originally used in some
aircraft application.

At the time I was racing, a young lad called Cedric Lynch designed,
build and raced his own two wheeler but also designed and built his
own 'pancake' motor, that performed way better than pretty well
anything available commercially at the time.

Only one person ever beat him ... and that was just though (my)
'luck'. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynch_motor

http://lynchmotors.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqoH0YaCsE