Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

On 15/02/18 10:48, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/02/2018 09:17, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Thank you all for your assistance but I do feel that some are digging
deeper
than required - all I was asking was to be able to write CDs under DOS
6.22
so perhaps someone may have know of a DOS application to do this
Andrew

The only ones I know of were DOS SCSI CDRW drivers - no support for
anything else. Back then writing your own CDs was quite esoteric.

There may be a UDF shim for DOS that will help it cope with Mint written
CDs a little better. Long time since I did anything on DOS 6.x

DOS predates DVD. And nearly predates CD.

Dos 6.22 was released in June 1994

CDs had been around, as music, and the impetus for PCS was really just
to read them and play them - at that tiome a writable drive was more
exopensive than te computer, so we didnt see CD-R technology until mid
1990s and later.

Dvds made little sense until computers fast enough to play video
emerged, and then subsequently read-write optical drives came along but
that was a few years later.

My point?

No one can be bothered to port DVD writing software to DOS 6.22

There is no need for it. DVDs are (as I discovered) a useless way to
back stuff up anyway, and even worse as a data transfer mechanism when
you have a network.

The only time I burn a DVD these days is to make a bootable linux image

Even making watchable videos is pointless when they are all on my server
anyway.

No point in burning CDs for the car CD player as everyone uses MP3...

So the correct solution to this problem is not DOS CD software, its
getting the CNC machine to run in a DOS virtual machine that can access
the serial ports correctly and has access to the host file sussyem and
host networking capabilities, and CD burning facilities IF you must.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that