Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default where can I get the right converter to plug a 300W 120V US fanheater into a UK socket?

On 15/02/2018 09:37, Robert Phillips wrote:
I am looking for a reliable convert to plug a 300W 120V US fan heater
into a UK socket.

The plug looks like this

http://a-bike.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...13001438_S.jpg

Maplin have a converter that does 300W for £40 but it's a bit risky
as it gives no leeway.. I think the convert should support e.g. 400W
or 500W.

It also costs about 2x more than a thermostatic 2kW UK mains fan heater!

I suppose it's a step up voltage converter that I need. According to
maplin.

You can always rely on Maplin for bad advice. Step down!

Maplin have a 1000W one but that is over £100, and quite big, and
overkill.

You may also find that US stuff is under engineered dependent on 60Hz
mains frequency and the motor coils may saturate on 50Hz UK mains -
which means you will get a bit more heat out until it catches fire.

A certain brand of old dreadful US brand mains electric razor (promoted
at Xmas) depends on a 60Hz mechanical resonance and is crap in the UK.

I want to get something reliable that can handle up to 400W or 500W.
As there's no risk then as the heater is rated 300W. So if it goes to
380W i'll be ok.

What are my options?

Scrap the useless 300W US toy and get a decent fan heater.
Nothing else makes sense economically or functionally.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown