Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message news:...

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message ...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me
to copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine
- I'm replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media
is 4.5" Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has
CD/DVD read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

If he can supply a bit more info on how this PC interfaces to the CNC
machine, we might even be able to advise him on setting up virtualisation
software[1] running under the SFF's original winXP Host OS (or even under
a Linux host), assuming a serial or printer port was used for the CNC
interface, which can be passed through[2] to a suitably configured VM
clone of the MSDOS 6.22 installation as it was originally set up on the
old Viglen.

--
Johnny B Good

Johnny,

A/ The original Viglen is fully functional but mechanically a write off

B/ The Viglen runs DOS 6.2 and has a floppy drive and HDD and two serial
ports

C/ One serial port is for an operators panel, the other is for the machine
CC controller

D/ I took an MSBACKUP of the VIGLEN HDD under DOS6.2 on 13 floppies

E/ The COMPAC DC7600 SFF was running Windows 7 and has floppy, SATA HDD and
CD/DVD writer, one serial port and a network 10/100 port and 4 Gb RAM

F/ I Repartitioned and formatted its HDD and loaded DOS 6.22 from the three
original Microsoft disks

G/ I copied the full DOS 6.2 MSBACKUP suite to a folder on the DC7600

H/ I ran DOS 6.2 MSBACKUP under DOS 6.22 and restored all the VIGLEN files
to the DC7600 EXCEPT the DOS folder

I/ (You need to know the MSBACKUP 6.22 cannot read MSBACKUP 6.2 floppies)

J/ At this stage I had a fully functional DC7600 running DOS 6.22 and the
original controller software from the VIGLEN (except it only had one serial
port)

K/ Being an SFF I needed a small form factor PCI serial card - the only one
I could source with DOS drivers was a StarTech PEX2S5521P

L/ The machine now has three serial ports and I just need to configure the
IRQ to match the original

M/ I sourced some DOS drivers for the CR/DVD which allowed me to read but
not write CDs

N/ This is when I posted asking for assistance for DOS software to WRITE CDs
so that the machine files can easily be transferred in future

O/ I have (Thanks to TIM) loaded a USB stick with Linux MINT and K3B CD
software allowing me not only to boot up MINT and generate CD's but also
connect to my network and transfer files that way !!!

P/ The only oddity left is that the CDs generated read properly under MINT
in the DC7600 and also und WIN7 on another machine but under DOS 6.22 in the
DC7600 are rather flaky and rarely read ok.

Q/ I am assuming this is due to the DOS drivers I'm using (can't name them
at the moment as I'm on a different PC)

Thank you all for your assistance but I do feel that some are digging deeper
than required - all I was asking was to be able to write CDs under DOS 6.22
so perhaps someone may have know of a DOS application to do this
Andrew