Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 23:18:59 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 14/02/2018 22:06, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:48:15 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 13/02/2018 19:54, Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me
to copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine
- I'm replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media
is 4.5" Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has
CD/DVD read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

A quick option would be a copy of laplink and a serial or parallel
transfer cable. Just suck the files off to a laptop etc.

Network card would be another option.

Physically accessing the hard drive on another platform may work, but
it depends a bit on what disk interface it has. IDE/SCSI should be
doable without too much hassle. ST506/ESDI will pose more of a
challenge.

Ya think? :-)

Well in fact only ESDI might cause me a problem - I have a stash of 8
and 16bit ST-506 cards (both MFM and RLL) in a "might come in handy" box
somewhere ;-)

I think I might have a couple of ST-506 cards still stashed away
somewhere and I'm almost certain I've still got the ESDI adapter that was
in a 2nd hand NEC PowerMate II box (along with a 16MB ISA memory
expansion adapter) which had Novell NetWare 3.11 installed on it.

The 300MB full height ESDI drive along with a 2nd similar sized
(physical and capacity) drive added a few months later, both got junked
as soon as I started my endless round of disk upgrades using ever larger
capacity IDE drives over the next decade before I ditched Netware
altogether for a Linux based solution before discovering the joy of
FreeNAS which, for trademark reasons, became renamed "NAS4Free".

I've now downgraded the peak capacity of 17TB to a 'mere' 14TB a couple
of months ago after finally completing an almost two year transcoding
from mpg to mkv project to recover disk space which had allowed me to
pull the ageing 3TB Hitachi Cool Spin 'tiddler' out the JBOD array of 4
seperate disk volumes leaving me with just one 6TB and and a couple of
4TB drives in the box with over 1.5TB of spare disk space, saving me some
3 or 4 watts of consumption. The box and the BackUPS500 energy
consumption now hovers either side of the 50W mark (I don't spin the
disks down to save power, preferring instead to avoid unnecessary
additional stress on both drives and my sanity).

I estimate I've got about another 12 months or so before I'm obliged to
replace one of the 4TB drives with an 8 or 10 TB drive. Hopefully, 8TB
will become the new 'sweet spot' price point by then with 10TB not too
far behind. It's all a far cry from those days when I used to wonder how
the hell I was going to make use of that vast 600MB's worth of disk
storage space. :-)

--
Johnny B Good