Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:28:12 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

news

On 14/02/18 09:21, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/02/18 08:08, Andrew Mawson wrote:
The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's
been embedded into the CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to
be able to transfer files easily in the future for both backup
reasons, and also to transfer part programs that have been created
on the lathe.

Ah.

Finally the context emerges.

Honestly your best bet may be to run the DOS in a VM and use the
actual host system to do the DVD burning.

I expect the reason it has to be MSDOS 6.x is that there are real mode
peeky pokey drivers that prod some custom interface hardware directly.

Not necessarily. Ive seen a lot done with just a serial port..

The OP doesnt mention custom hardware at all.

Although there is oodles of custom hardware in the machine it is all
interfaced by two serial ports. One is slow speed and not timing
critical as it is only the operators panel / keyboard, however the other
(I presume) is running flat out at top speed as timing is very critical
during threading operations as it has to synchronise readings from the
main shaft optical encoder with the X and Z axis drivers.

If I understood that correctly, the machine in question is *not* as most
might conclude, the PC but the CNC machine itself. The Viglen PC doesn't
seem to require anything more exotic than a couple of com ports (serial)
which were standard issue even if extra socket hardware was required to
be mounted in knockouts on the back panel or added as backplate slot
adapters to connect onto the motherboard headers or else the optional 2nd
com port header on an I/O adapter card.

If that's the case, then using virtualisation software would appear to
be the most obvious solution to your current dilemma.

--
Johnny B Good