Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 08:08:07 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 00:45:45 +0000, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:
OK wrong forum I know but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on
this forum

I need some software that will run under DOS 6.22 that will allow me
to copy files to a CD/DVD-ROM Drive. This is on a legacy CNC machine
- I'm replacing a dying Viglen PC where the only exchangeable media
is 4.5" Floppy for a Compac DC7600 SFF PC that I have which also has
CD/DVD read / write drive that would be very handy for data exchange.

NB this is running genuine DOS 6.22 NOT a DOS window under Windoze !

Any pointers very welcome !

Andrew

Do you think you could run this in a VM? You might try Disk2VHD,
which would at least give you a copy of the whole thing to play with.
The VHD can then be opened in something like 7zip, and individual
files transferred, if you don't want to try to boot it up in a VM.

How does this help him WRITE a CD?

Many thanks for the various replies.

I have already backed up the original Viglen PC that runs DOS 6.2 using
MSBACKUP (13 Floppies)

Ouch!

and restored them to the replacement Compac DC7600 by loading the 6.2
version of MSBACKUP onto the DC7600 (as the 6.2 and 6.22 versions aren't
compatible !!!!)

How? According to the specs for that machine, it doesn't have a floppy
disk drive - please explain.

The DC7600 is up and running, I've put drivers in the autoexec &
config.sys to allow me to READ CDs -

Ok so far... If there are DOS based versions of CD writing software
still available, installing such would be the next step since they often
included the necessary dos CD writing driver support files. You might
still have a problem finding a dos compatible driver for the existing CD
writer though so you might have to resort to locating an older model of
writer that does have dos driver support (and that may still leave you
having to scrabble around for CD writing software that supports your
chosen CD writer). You may yet have a lot more googling to do before you
solve that problem (or you just might strike it lucky first go).

The issue is I want to be able to WRITE CDs on the DC7600 when it's been
embedded into the CNC Lathe to replace the Viglen - this is to be able
to transfer files easily in the future for both backup reasons, and also
to transfer part programs that have been created on the lathe.

That's a curious expression ("embedded into", that is). is that CNC
Manufacturer-speak for "Linked up to the PC", via some sort of
communication cable that uses an existing serial or parallel port or else
a SCSI or proprietary adapter installed into one of the expansion slots
in the Viglen?

If the connection is via a standard serial port, that makes the virtual
machine option a "No-Brainer"(tm) since, as Dan has pointed out, you can
share folders read/write between the VM guest and the host OS which has
USB pen drive and CDRW and network support to satisfy your need to
transfer data to other machine almost any way you care to choose.

The answer to that question will have a profound effect on your choice
of solution. Likewise regarding the basic specs of the original Viglen
setup such as ram size etc.

Johnny - B -Good thanks for that link as the USB ports would be handy
also

It would be nice if it works but, unfortunately, no guarantees on this.
However, since it's such a tiny download, it's worth giving it a shot.

--
Johnny B Good