Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default DOS based CD-Writer software ?

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:03:45 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

p.s. If you have a stack of spare PC's it might be worth installing
Linux (Mint 18 MATE 64 bit) on one of them just for the S&G's. ;-)

Tim, Very many thanks for those suggestions.

You are welcome (and not the only one to suggest a 'LiveLinux' of
course). ;-)

I've successfully loaded linux
mint mate onto a USB stick

Cool. ;-)

- got the PC onto my local network and copied
files from the Compaq DC7600 that's going in the lathe onto my desktop PC
(confusingly another DC7600!!)

Excellent.

I'm a bit shaky on permissions so need to
poke about a bit but at the end of the day I have transferred an entire
DOS6.22 folder onto my desktop machine.

Well,considering how little capacity that takes up and how much
capacity is available on most PC's these days that shouldn't be an
issue. And whilst the files wouldn't help you restore a broken boot,
it would give you a spare set of files to replace a damaged one if
required. ;-)

Now need to see if there is any software that I can load onto the stick mint
thingy to burn CD's - the CD drive isn't showing under devices in MINT -
sure it must be possible but all suggestions welcome

You should just be able to select the files you want, right click on
them and send them to the optical drive?

Again many thanks

I'm just glad you have found a solution that works. ;-)

Cheers, T i m